Business Development Manager
The Business Development Manager generates leads, qualifies potential customers, and consult clients to purchase furniture and services. This role utilizes sales, networking, and cold calling to develop and maintain relationships with potential clients, architects, designers, project managers, and real estate professionals. Responsible for sales volume, margin percent, and new business goals on a monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis.
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Specific responsibilities include:
- Network extensively for leads (business groups, real estate brokers, A&D community, local community organizations, industry organizations—IFMA, BOMA)
- Research for leads through business journals, newspapers, industry periodicals and publications, the internet, etc.
- Cold call potential clients in person or by telephone, or combination
- Participate in dealership lead generation programs such as telemarketing, open houses, industry events, etc.; follows up diligently on leads provided by the dealership
- Qualify leads into potential customers; thorough needs analysis to understand client’s requirements for furniture products and services
- Make persuasive presentations to customers on dealership’s products and services—in person, through written/graphic documentation and electronic means
- Develop detailed, accurate, and professional-looking quotes through own effort or in conjunction with dealership personnel (designers, customer service representatives, project managers, etc.) and present these to the customer
- Work with service departments to develop service contracts to present to the customer when complex services are sold (design, for instance) or for major projects (installation, design, project management)
- Provide accounting department with timely information for necessary credit checks
- Keeping CRM accurate and up to date.
- Responsible for setting up the sale to be efficiently managed and administered by the dealership, dealership operations, and business personnel
- Accept responsibility for the accuracy of specifications when entering orders, and review specifications for errors when done by others (design, for instance); provide complete, accurate, and timely sales order (header data, pricing, contact numbers, etc.) and work order (site and project parameters, installation schedule, etc.) information required for proposal/sales order system
- Ensure a responsible close of sale by obtaining signed sales orders (and terms & conditions, if appropriate), client purchase orders, and deposits as required
- Stay involved throughout sale implementation to ensure that any bottlenecks or changes in scope are identified and resolved and that both customer and dealership are satisfied
- Responsive and timely to customer inquiries, requests for information and/or quotations, problem resolution, etc.
- Provide frequent and regular follow-up contact with the customer regarding after-sale services and information, including customer satisfaction
- Conduct a professional, cooperative interface with the customer, the customer’s employees, and the customer’s third-party consultants/subcontractors
- Ensure the customer gets frequent and regular reports on order status, project progress, and overall customer activity status
- Assist accounting in resolving any late receivables or customer credit issues
Goals and Performance
- Meet monthly, quarterly, and yearly sales, margin, and new business goals as set by the dealership and sales manager
- Provide timely reports on sales forecasts and new leads as required
- Participate in special sales programs sponsored by the dealership or in conjunction with the dealership’s designated furniture manufacturers; attend training
Contract Furniture Management
- Knowledgeable of dealership’s product lines—product features, application, technical capabilities, specification, etc.
- Good understanding of contract furniture management at dealer level—account servicing, project management, order preparation, order management, factory interface, delivery & installation— including sale’s role in those processes and procedures
- Function as the customer advocate for internal order fulfillment performance and service products
- Knowledge of office environment issues (ergonomics, technology integration, and use, office productivity, etc.) and general business trends
Qualifications + Skills:
- Excellent verbal, written, listening, and presentation skills
- Strong negotiation skills to close business and manage relationships
- Strategic and analytical thinker capable of driving sales results and market share improvement in a value-based selling environment
- Quickly learn and embrace Company Values and demonstrate through daily behaviors/actions
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 3 – 5 years Commercial Furniture Sales experience for a contract office furniture dealer or manufacturer
- Experience with Haworth or other Grade A contract products preferred
PeopleSpace is a market leader, providing workspace strategy, contract office furniture, custom solutions, and architectural wall products. We have over 21 years of success in creating environments to improve the well-being, culture, engagement, and retention of both our client’s employees and our team members. As one of Haworth’s top global dealerships, we boast the largest dealership footprint on the West Coast with five Customer Experience Centers. PeopleSpace is a dynamic and rising organization that provides great upward mobility for individuals who are looking to learn, grow and find a long-term home. We offer great benefits and foster an inspired company culture based on our core values.
Due to our government contract, we will require all new hires to be vaccinated, or provide documentation that qualifies them for a medical or religious exemption.
PeopleSpace provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Should you need assistance filling out an application or applying for a position at PeopleSpace, please contact our HR department at PeopleSpace.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Creating spaces for people to thrive.